Little Miss S Gets Back on the Horse

The 5K I want to run on May 19th is quickly becoming my windmill.

First, work jacked up my training. No big deal, still plenty of time to work it out. Then, The Sickness. I’m struggling to catch up to my training plan now and I’m feeling a little discouraged. That didn’t stop me from getting on the treadmill this morning, after loading myself up with cold medication, allergy medication and cough syrup.

This is why the cats don't go to the gym with me.

Sunday’s training was discouraging. After not running for a week, I tried to jump back in where I had been and ended up having to walk part of my last interval. My body just refused to do what I asked it to and I was completely angry at it for being so stupid. Mister E reminded me that I hadn’t been out in a week, that I was still feeling cruddy and I was jumping back into the training with both feet, but I still felt like I’d failed.

Today was much better. I continued where I left off and didn’t have to walk at all this time. Nor did I have to use my inhaler, another small victory. Still, I have this nagging fear that I’m not going to be ready in time and it scares me. I should have known better than to put myself on a timetable but I had to give myself something to look forward to and now I’m freaking out thinking that I won’t be able to get there. I need to remember to breathe, though. You can’t run if you’re holding your breath (I speak from experience).

This was how I felt afterward.

Amazingly enough, I felt better when I went to the DMV for the flogging that is prescribed as my part in keeping the road safe for people to ram their SUVs into other peoples’ cars because they’re driving too slowly. The line went quickly, my photo could have looked worse and traffic wasn’t too bad on the way home. Also, I realized that I don’t have to be on a timetable anymore thanks to my new job.

See, when I started my previous job I was in for a Monday through Friday gig so I’d have more time to spend with Mister E. Then, magically, they decided to change to a Tuesday through Saturday schedule which not only meant I didn’t see my fiance, I also would have to ask a month in advance to run any 5 or 10Ks in the future. Now I’m going to have Saturdays off so I’ll be able to run whenever I want and see Mister E afterward.  Less good news is the fact that I’m going to have to invest in new running shoes after the 5K. These are reaching the end of their life span. I have some new ones picked out, though.

Overpronators get shafted in the style department.

On that front, I got a call from HR this morning; the background check is clean (wasn’t really worried), they’ve requested my driving record (also clean), and I talked to the Head about my schedule, which will be Monday through Friday. Everything is falling into place, and I couldn’t be more thrilled.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s